Flash Fill is one of the biggest new features to be released with Excel 2013. In fact let me re-phrase that. Flash Fill is one of the biggest new features to ever be released with Excel.
It can do so much with your data, the first time I saw its true power it nearly knocked me off my chair.
It can be used to extract text and values from a cell, concatenate data, change its case and even reverse data.
How to use Flash Fill in Excel 2013
Probably the best thing about this powerful new tool is how easy it is to use.
To use Flash Fill;
- Click in a cell and type in an example of how you want your data to look.
- Press the Ctrl + E keys, or select the range of cells including the example and press the Flash Fill button on the Data tab.
5 Awesome Flash Fill Examples
Watch the video below to see what Flash Fill can do for you in your spreadsheets. The examples covered in the video include;
- Separate firstname and lastname from a cell
- Extract a name from an email address
- Reverse and concatenate text from a cell
- Extract the year from a date
- Extract text between two characters